Friday, January 27, 2012

SAGE plant: questions on growth, pruning, harvesting, storing.....?

Hi! so I have a run of the mill sage plant that I planted last year in my little box garden outside (it's a triangle bos really %26amp; it's about 3 feet or so long on the longest part.)



So I have lots of things in it that did come back, tricolor sage (not as big as the regular sage plant)%26amp; curly parsley %26amp; the basil seeds have started re-growing.

I have other herbs in containers that I'm about to plant for this season %26amp; I have to make room for them so they can grow too

SO the issue is... my sage plant is a monster! HUGE!!! and all over almost 2 feet across and tall too! It's budding and a few purple flowers are forming ? whats the easiest thing I can do here? clip the buds? clip the flowers? and then trim down the plant?



where should I cut from? should I take off whole branches from the "trunk"? then what? chuck the buds %26amp; flowers %26amp; hang the things in the garage? (no AC in there though- can get humid if weather changes.

should I dry all the clippings or do other things too???

SAGE plant: questions on growth, pruning, harvesting, storing.....?
You could try and root the cuttings for some of your neighbors and friends.



For drying, hang them upside down and let them be for a couple of weeks.



Do not prune the plant more than 30% or you will harm it, perhaps even kill it.
Reply:Why not re pot the sage to a container of its own.

From the size you describe maybe a planter as large as they use for a Fiscus tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment