Friday, January 27, 2012

Perovski Russian Sage - when does one cut it back? Maybe I should have done it in the fall?

Linda, I don't know if I can help you much, but I have a book about herbs and spices here, and in the section of sages, it states, and I quote:



"Sage does best on warm, dry soil. Its aromatic strength varies according to soil and climate. Leaves can be harvested from spring to autumn. Plants are best cut back after flowering. Purple, variegated, and tricolor sages are less hardy than common sage, and pineapple sage needs protection from freezing temperature."



According to the paragraph above, it is best to cut back the sage after flowering. Here, I am assuming that it refers to all kinds of sage. This book that I have have at least six kinds of sage in it, but without the Perovski Russian Sage.

Perovski Russian Sage - when does one cut it back? Maybe I should have done it in the fall?
It makes no difference at all. Some people like to wait for spring to cut back their perennials, because the dead stalks help to hold snow cover which protects the plants' crown.
Reply:I wait til spring and just take away the dead sticks. Otherwise you might accidentally take away something you need.


No comments:

Post a Comment